Lourdes and the Grotto
The Grotto of Massabielle, a destination for
pilgrims from all over the world, is situated only 5 km from
us. This place of contemplation and prayer is open all year.
In Lourdes, you
can also visit several museums, the castle, the lake, and
the Pic du Jer.
- Walking tours on several trails
- Cycling, mountain biking, golf
- Trout fishing in the Gave de Pau river
- Whitewater: Rafting, kayaking, hydrospeed (riverboarding)
- Cirque de Gavarnie (UNESCO world natural heritage)
- Cauterets and the Pont
d'Espagne – an historic
luxury health resort in a mountain setting
- Col du Tourmalet – at 2114 m the highest
driveable pass in the Pyrenees
- Pic du Midi – the 2877 m high “noon peak“,
accessible by cable car
- Mountain railway at Artouste – one of France’s
most spectacular train routes leads along steep rock faces
to the Artouste dam
- Grottes de Bétharram – a bizarre underworld
full of stalactites, stalagmites and other limestone
structures, accessible on foot and in some parts by a
small train and a boat.
- Grottes de Médous – a natural cave, shaped
by an underground river, rich in limestone formations shaped
like frozen waterfalls.
- Le gouffre d'Esparros – a stalactite cave, explored
in 1938 and opened to the public in 1997.